Thursday, February 12, 2009

Research

Today was the first day of my 2 week research rotation. Last year, I had a full 3 months of research, enough for me to do a project and get enough data to present a poster at ATS in Toronto. This year, I'm on a CCU rotation at q3 call during ATS so I'm less motivated. That, and I have 3 separate 2 week blocks of research which makes meaningful research a bit more trouble than it's worth.

So my research project, which will be completed (I swear!) by the end of my two weeks will be entitled "A prospective randomized trial of watching TV from my love seat versus my couch." I'm devoting nearly 100% of my time, apart from two all-day clinics, to data collection.

This and the two weeks of vacation in which we will be on The Big Trip to the Motherland, are my only dead time between now and my last day of work, which is looking to be June 10th. Between now and then, 13 or so clinics, 8 night shifts, and about 9 calls. And probably 3 jeopardy shifts so potentially 3 more calls.

Time off at this point is refreshing and of course well appreciated by me and my family. But the ember of the type A personality in me wants to put my head down and just get done with those last 12 weeks of work now, instead of knocking back 2 weeks of down time now, 2 weeks of night float, 2 weeks of vacation, and then 10 straight weeks of hard rotations. This is added to by the fact that I only have 1 hour of TV on the DVR up on which to catch. Hah, prepositions you won't get me today!

No comments: