Monday, February 16, 2009

Packing

This weekend we started packing for The Big Move. I packed away all of my CDs. I filled 2.5 boxes with them; a total of around 800 I suppose. I do this with the full realization that once they are in a box, they are probably not going to come out for the next two decades, given that most of them have been ripped.

Many, however, have not -- I went through and ripped most of my classical CDs this weekend finally. But in identifying ones I have not processed, I am faced with a momentous decision: will I want to listen to this CD any time in the next 2 decades?

Hard drive space is cheap; it is more a question of having to look at these in my iTunes library. I have managed to acquire a CD of digeridoo music, 3 (count em) CDs of classical guitar, 6 CDs of bits of classical music from a music history class I took in college, and many, many, questionable rock albums (Ocean Colour Scene or Kula Shaker anyone?). I've gone ahead and ripped most of them, with only the truly unlistenable (Tibetian Buddhism chanting, the aforementioned digeridoo, some god-awful stuff that I detest now) left out.

I betcha I'm gonna want to listen to "The Riverboat Song" tomorrow.

3 comments:

blackpetero said...

My CDs sat in a box for a few years. The vinyl though, that had been in a box for eight years or so. So I brought all the LPs to work. I connected up my spiffy turntable and from time to time I listen to some of the stuff I have from the old record store days. I have rebought almost all the stuff I like from them, but its nice to look at the album covers. Gliad had never even seen a "real" 12" album before. He had no idea how to get the vinyl out the sleeve.

Jozie said...

Dr. Ed
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee save me the dijeridoo cd and also the Tibetian Buddism one. I totally want them.
Jo

Dylan Ohh said...

Wow mom....you have just reached a new level of lame.

Sadly, when father took all of the Cds to work, it never occurred to him that I still do listen to many of them....