Sunday, February 15, 2009

Computer day

My calendar needs are kind of messed up. I love Google Calendar, but I have years of calendars in Apple iCal (and iCal in OS X Tiger can read-only read gcals). I got an iPhone (mostly) for this simple reason, because my old Samsung couldn't quite understand iCal or for that matter gcal. Since I am poor and haven't upgraded to Leopard, iCal doesn't speak to gcal. The new iCal, of course, can speak both ways to gcal. So I use a unix hack, gcaldaemon, which apparently has stopped working. So I reinstalled it today. Rather than spend $116 to get Leopard.

In the process of getting this working (it is still kind of splotchy after most of the day of reminding myself how to use vi and editing conf files), I noted that now gcal can synchronize directly to the iPhone (beta feature!). The problem again is that gcaldaemon is kind of splotchy. So the third leg isn't working. But I figure since gcal and the iPhone are the future, I'd rather base the triangle on those two legs rather than iCal and the iPhone, as I am away from my Apple and therefore I should let iCal be the passive leg.

I did this all without managing to delete all of my calendar information, which is what usually happens. Luckily, the Big One was at a playdate and the Medium one was out shopping with mom. So just me and the baby and she can't/doesn't complain as much when I am using the computer.

No comments: