Thursday, June 4, 2009

Movin'


The Big Move is upon us. Today was my official last day of residency (with 3 clinics remaining, but starting tomorrow I am on research time).

Timeline for the next week:

Tomorrow 6/4: Frenzied packing of the last 10% of the house that needs packing that my saintly wife hasn't done yet. Seriously, she's done 90% of the house by herself between working this ridiculous job and taking care of the kids while I selfishly continue my 15 hour days. My jobs -- finish the books, clean the kitchen, pack the liquor, cook some chicken for our friends who just had a baby, finish the coat closet, and pack as many of my clothes as I don't need. TV and stereo system last as the kids may melt into goo without TV tomorrow night. I then sneak out to see Man Man and Gogol Bordello, live and in concert.

Friday 6/5: Moving company should be here bright and early 8 AM. They will pack the rest of the kitchen and the rest of the delicates (pictures, knicknacks including Lladro and other ceramic figurines that I have been desperately trying to break). It is complicated because 9 AM I have a ridiculous clinic starting, and 11 AM my daughter has graduation from preschool. We'll get the suspicious Russian neighbor to look over the movers. One look astray from her and it spells banishment to Kolyma.

Saturday 6/6: My car gets on a truck to go west. Then my wife and children get on an airplane to go southwest. We'll hope that the two don't coincide.

Monday 6/8: My penultimate clinic. An all day affair filled with the finest little old ladies with 15 medical diagnoses that East Baltimore can produce. Afterwards, The Decemberists, live and in concert.

Tuesday 6/9: Senior farewell dinner. Should I try to get tickets for the surprise Beastie Boys show announced today and skip the formal farewell dinner? The Beastie Boys may be worth it. Everywhere I look, I see bridges, I've got matches in my hand, and it's time to burn, baby.

Wednesday 6/10: My ultimate clinic. Another all-day affair that should be sufficiently painful.

Thursday 6/11: Pick up the brother from the airport at 9:45 PM. I will begin photoblogging the trek across the country. We'll probably try to drive down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge so we can drive from Bay Bridge to Bay Bridge.

Friday 6/12: Can we make Rochester, MN in one day? Tune in and find out!

2 comments:

oliviao said...

Amazing what little Lisa has accomplished in just a few days since we were there!! You have a gem, I hope you appreciate her!!

Unknown said...

Hi Ed...John Helms here in Houston...sorry we won't see you on the trip west..you have real talent for blogging..if you fail at medicine or research (highly unlikely for either), you may have found your alternative calling...looking forward to your blogging and pictures of the trip west...travel safe... John H.