Saturday, April 4, 2009

New music

I got the Sin Fang Bous disc today, mostly because of good recommendations on emusic. They recommend it as the "Icelandic Sufjan Stevens." That's pretty apt:



Got the new record by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, which is great as well. Like a Jesus and Mary Chain type sound but with a late oughties pop sensibility. Also got two by Grizzly Bear, and a really nice double disc compilation from the Red Hot series to benefit HIV. It was put together by some of the members of The National (maybe The Very Guy I Sat Next to at Bertha's Wedding). It is called "Dark was the Night" and it has some fantastic music on it, including a great collaboration between David Byrne and The Dirty Projectors, a new track by The Arcade Fire, and a spectacular cover of Vashti Bunyan's "Train Song" by Ben Gibbard and Feist. Not to mention MMJ, Sharon Jones, the aforemention Sufjan Stevens, etc.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

Loved the music - I thought you liked odd stuff, but its excellent, very soothing and melodious! I especially liked the Train song - Pete Seeger/folk type sound. When I have some time will listen to the rest and put on my ipod.