Sunday, July 12, 2009

One and a half weeks in

It's a little weird to identify myself as the pulmonary fellow, after three years of being the medicine resident. It's a little weird to be on strictly first name basis with all the attendings. It's great, though, to be white-coat less (mine is still on order, perhaps a California IOU?) and tie-less. It's about 50/50 here, and I've made a decision to join the tie-less 50%. Which means that the Osler tie will get a much needed rest.

The VA is very laid back, and not the learning curve of the rotations at the main hospital (I'll start there in September). Which is not a bad thing considering the last bit of my residency, the move-out, the drive, and the move-in. I'm using the BART and MUNI to get to work, which unfortunately takes around 1.5 hrs there and back. Which is excusable now, as I am studying for the boards. But this could be irritating. The VA is the farthest out, though, and the other hospitals should be better.

Immediately, changes become obvious.

The old view from the MICU nurses' station:


The new view from the MICU nurses' station:


The old view from the parking lot:


The new view from the parking lot:

No comments: