Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Demented music

I'm done with call! In honor, let's post some music.

I'm always on the lookout for music that is a little, or a lot, insane. Catchy but insane music is among my very favorite genres. Music that could only be conceived by mad genius. Seeds were sewn when blackpetero had me start listening to Frank Zappa sometime around 1990.

In college, the next group to slip right into that spot was Mercury Rev. The song "Something for Joey" is so good, it makes you wonder why every rock song doesn't have trombones, flutes, and noise generators.

Baltimore's own Dan Deacon perhaps exemplifies mad genius for me recently:



BTW, how cool is that Florida NBC morning show to have this dude on? Can you imagine waking up to that? We're talking 16 ska bands! We're talking 19 ska bands! It is one of my biggest failings that despite numerous attempts, I have not seen Dan Deacon before leaving B'more. Perhaps in SF, he does make it out there. I recently got his newest album, Bromst and it is nearly as good as his fabulous last album Spiderman of the Rings. Check out the YouTube for "Crystal Cat."



Tonight, I downloaded the fantastically named Dananananaykroyd. Their song "Black Wax" gives me high hopes. Maybe not as crazy as Mr Deacon, but 1+ more crazy than your average indie band.

No comments: